Friday, May 22, 2009

Life is like?

I went running this morning on a new path we found by our house. It is a bike/walk path lined with beautiful trees and benches along the way. It is very hilly and curves around several ponds and playgrounds. I saw a cardinal bird, a huge bullfrog (the size of a cantelope), and lots of caterpillars.

Because the path has so many hills, it's a challenge to run....to keep steady breaths and strong legs. The up hill is where the hard work is put in, the focus on breathing, the attention to my stride and the careful attention to the path. Although the up hills are difficult, and I feel like stopping to walk, I try to push ahead knowing that on the other side is a down hill that will offer me some relief and much needed coasting.

I try to make my runs/walks a time of prayer, talking to God with every breath I take. Sometimes I get distracted with a "to-do" list, or the mom who pushes her screaming toddler by in a stroller, or the big dog that barks at me. On those days, I struggle to make it to the end. Today was an unusually quiet day though...no distractions were getting in. I ran with endurance and strength, more than I thought I could. I thank God for that.

I was reminded of how life is like my path. The difficult times in our lives are like the up hills, difficult, strenuous, and taxing on us. When we let distractions come, it's hard to keep going. If our focus is on Him, He gives us the strength and endurance we need to make it through. And the best part is what's waiting on the other side...the down hill...relief...coasting...enjoying God's goodness, mercy, and faithfulness. May you have many up hill challenges so you can experience God's faithfulness and many down hills to encourage on your path.

2 Timothy 4:7

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness."

Hebrews 12:1b

"Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perserverance the reace marked out for us."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

What a great analogy. It is great to have times when we can just spend time with God & talk with Him. Thanks for sharing!

Ellen

Anonymous said...

Kristi-Hey! How are you? Thank you for reminding me about the truth & freedom that we have in Christ, and that life is like a run/walk path with some very steep hills that seem to go on forever, but the great news is as you said that we know there is a downhill coming and things will get better and easier at least for a while. Wish I could see you more often. You are fun to spend time with. Hope all is well at your house....Can't wait to show you the new and improved Freeman kitchen....It is awesome...Only thing needed now is the black and white tile on the floor. Have a wonderful day....Amy